Do children grow out of scoliosis?

Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgery
The majority of children with scoliosis will not need any treatment during their life. Their scoliosis is mild and when skeletal maturity is attained (usually after puberty), there is only a very small chance that their scoliosis will progress.

Unfortunately, children do not grow out of scoliosis, but it is a very treatable condition. However, if left untreated, scoliosis in a child can lead to life-long deformity and arthritis. It is important to seek treatment from a doctor if you suspect your child has scoliosis.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What causes infantile scoliosis?
The cause of infantile scoliosis is usually undetermined, so the disorder is also known as infantile...
How does infantile scoliosis affect the body?
Infantile scoliosis causes the spine to look like an S or a C. This shape can cause the child sorene...
What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following: Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 pe...
How do I know if my child needs surgery for scoliosis?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
In a child, surgery for scoliosis is driven by the anatomy of the curve. In children, doctors try to...