Do children grow out of scoliosis?

Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgery
The majority of children with scoliosis will not need any treatment during their life. Their scoliosis is mild and when skeletal maturity is attained (usually after puberty), there is only a very small chance that their scoliosis will progress.

Unfortunately, children do not grow out of scoliosis, but it is a very treatable condition. However, if left untreated, scoliosis in a child can lead to life-long deformity and arthritis. It is important to seek treatment from a doctor if you suspect your child has scoliosis.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

How will surgery for scoliosis affect my child?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
Scoliosis surgery for an adolescent child involves taking bones that are starting to grow crookedly,...
What are my child's treatment options for scoliosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If your child's scoliosis isn't causing any problems, one treatment option is to watch and wait. Thi...
What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following: Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 pe...
Can children with scoliosis exercise and participate in physical activity?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Children with scoliosis not only can but should exercise and participate in physical activity. Exerc...