Are there alternative treatments for infantile scoliosis?

There are no effective alternative treatments that can correct infantile scoliosis. Treatments using chiropractic manipulation, exercise, nutritional supplements, or electrical stimulation alone, without braces or surgery, are not effective in stopping curve progression. Exercise can be used to strengthen the back muscles to prevent atrophy while the brace is in place and contributes to overall health.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What causes infantile scoliosis?
The cause of infantile scoliosis is usually undetermined, so the disorder is also known as infantile...
Can children with scoliosis exercise and participate in physical activity?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Children with scoliosis not only can but should exercise and participate in physical activity. Exerc...
What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following: Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 pe...
How do I know if my child needs surgery for scoliosis?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
In a child, surgery for scoliosis is driven by the anatomy of the curve. In children, doctors try to...