What increases my risk for scoliosis?

Evidence shows that scoliosis may be hereditary, so if your mother or father has scoliosis, you may be at a higher risk for the condition. Additionally, people with other muscular, skeletal or neurological conditions, such as muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy, may develop a certain type of scoliosis. Although scoliosis affects both boys and girls, girls are more likely to have more severe cases. Scoliosis typically develops and worsens during growth spurts, so children who are still growing are at a higher risk for scoliosis than adults.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Causes & Risks

Who is most at risk for scoliosis?
Children who are still growing are most at risk for scoliosis. If there is a curve in the child's sp...
What increases my risk for nonstructural scoliosis?
Nonstructural scoliosis is caused by seemingly unrelated conditions, like appendicitis. You may be a...
Does scoliosis run in families?
The cause of most cases of scoliosis is unknown. However, many doctors have noticed that scoliosis a...
What causes scoliosis?
There are several types of scoliosis. The most common type has no known cause and is found in otherw...