What causes nonstructural scoliosis?

Nonstructural scoliosis is not caused by a spinal syndrome or disease. Instead, the curve associated with nonstructural scoliosis is typically caused by some underlying condition, like muscle spasms, appendicitis or a difference in leg length. Typically, the curve in cases of nonstructural scoliosis is only temporary, going away when the cause is resolved.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Causes & Risks

Can scoliosis be inherited?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Whether or not scoliosis can be inherited, and the etiology for scoliosis, remains largely unknown. ...
Who is most at risk for scoliosis?
Children who are still growing are most at risk for scoliosis. If there is a curve in the child's sp...
What increases my risk for structural scoliosis?
Evidence shows that structural scoliosis may run in families, so if your mother or father has struct...
Can men also get scoliosis?
Dan and Torrey ShannonDan and Torrey Shannon
Many service members and veterans, including my husband, have had curvature of the spine due to the ...