Can scoliosis be inherited?

Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgery
Whether or not scoliosis can be inherited, and the etiology for scoliosis, remains largely unknown. However, there is a genetic component in scoliosis as studies have shown that in girls whose mother had scoliosis there is a 1 in 3 chance that they will also develop scoliosis. Likewise, in monozygotic twins, meaning twins that formed from one egg that then split, if one twin has scoliosis the odds of the other having scoliosis is nearly 70 percent.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Causes & Risks

What increases my risk for nonstructural scoliosis?
Nonstructural scoliosis is caused by seemingly unrelated conditions, like appendicitis. You may be a...
What causes structural scoliosis?
There are different types of scoliosis, and the most common type of structural scoliosis is mostly f...
What increases my risk for structural scoliosis?
Evidence shows that structural scoliosis may run in families, so if your mother or father has struct...
What causes nonstructural scoliosis?
Nonstructural scoliosis is not caused by a spinal syndrome or disease. Instead, the curve associated...