What is the proper way to sit to prevent sciatica?

Sitting properly is an important part of your effort to prevent sciatica. Your hips and your knees should be level when you sit. If you're seated at a desk, your feet should be flat on the floor, and your elbows should be bent at right angles. When selecting a chair, choose one with adequate support for your lower back. A swivel base and arm rests are also recommended. A properly placed rolled-up towel or small pillow can help you keep the natural curves of your spine.

Continue Learning about Sciatica

What is a sciatic nerve?
The sciatic nerve runs from the spine down the back of the leg to the foot. Pressure on the nerve fr...
Is it safe to run if I have sciatica?
Medical Center of TrinityMedical Center of Trinity
Exercising with sciatica can be beneficial, but may pose certain risks, especially for patients who ...
When does loss of bladder or bowel function occur with sciatica?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In most cases, sciatica is caused by a nerve root being compressed by a herniated disk located in yo...
Is it possible to predict the outcome of a diskectomy for my sciatica?
The surgical procedure that is sometimes used for sciatica relief is called a diskectomy. A diskecto...