Should I talk to my doctor about my sciatica?

In most cases, mild sciatica will go away by itself. If your pain is severe, if it worsens, if it is worse when you lie down or it wakes you at night, or if it continues past  four weeks, talk to your doctor. If you suddenly develop intense pain in your leg or lower back as well as weakness or numbness in one of your legs, get medical attention right away. You should also get medical attention right away if your pain started to occur after a violent injury, if there's redness or swelling along the spine, if it's accompanied by unexplained fever, blood in or a burning sensation with urination, or if you're losing control of bladder or bowel function.

Continue Learning about Sciatica

What is a sciatic nerve?
You have a sciatic nerve on each side of your body. They are the longest and widest nerves in your b...
Can StimRouter help treat sciatic nerve pain?
Dr. William P. McRoberts, MDDr. William P. McRoberts, MD
Regarding sciatic nerve pain, the StimRouter is not the best tool in the bag for these issues, but t...
What should I know about caring for someone with sciatica?
If you are caring for someone with sciatica, reassure them that sciatica will often go away by itsel...
What is the treatment of sciatic nerve pain?
In most cases, sciatica will go away by itself with self-care practices like exercising, stretching,...