How should I exercise if I have sciatica?

After your sciatica first develops, a day or two of bed rest may be helpful. However, extended periods of inactivity will make your sciatica worse, so you'll want to start exercising soon. Begin with gentle activity, such as stationary bicycling or aquatic exercise. After you begin to feel a little better, you can increase your aerobic activity. You may also want to add some strength training, especially exercises that incorporate your abdomen and lower back muscles for overall back health. Before you start any exercise, consult with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Sciatica

What is the treatment of sciatic nerve pain?
Medical Center of TrinityMedical Center of Trinity
Some of the treatment options for sciatica include physical therapy, chiropractic care, TENS units, ...
Is it safe to run if I have sciatica?
Exercising with sciatica can be beneficial, but may pose certain risks, especially for patients who ...
How does sciatica affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Sciatica is a symptom that usually occurs due to nerve root compression in your lower spine. The com...
What is sciatica?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The most common example of radiating pain (pain that travels along the entire course of a nerve,...