Will bed rest help my sciatica?

Bed rest may further weaken muscles around the spine and cause further problems.

After you first notice your sciatica, one or two days of bed rest may provide some pain relief. After that period, however, excessive bed rest is not recommended. In fact, inactivity may increase your inflammation and worsen your symptoms.

Continue Learning about Sciatica

Is it possible to predict the outcome of a diskectomy for my sciatica?
The surgical procedure that is sometimes used for sciatica relief is called a diskectomy. A diskecto...
Can StimRouter help treat sciatic nerve pain?
Dr. William P. McRoberts, MDDr. William P. McRoberts, MD
Regarding sciatic nerve pain, the StimRouter is not the best tool in the bag for these issues, but t...
What is sciatica?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
The most common example of radiating pain (pain that travels along the entire course of a nerve,...
What is the treatment of sciatic nerve pain?
Medical Center of TrinityMedical Center of Trinity
Some of the treatment options for sciatica include physical therapy, chiropractic care, TENS units, ...