What is vulnerable child syndrome?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
Vulnerable child syndrome (VCS) is child perceived to be at risk for behavioral, developmental, or medical problems, whereby the child’s family frequents the doctor’s office and overuses resources for the healthcare of the child.
Though most premature infants do well, they are particularly at risk for the "vulnerable child syndrome." This is a child with an imagined or real illness early in life, resulting in the parents developing a long-term sense of the child being particularly susceptible to illness or injury. That means that the child is viewed as incapable of being independent or of performing certain tasks. This leads to ongoing stress, odd dynamics between the child and the parents, and confusion for both parent and child.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Emotional Health

How can I help my child cope with worries?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Anxiety is an inevitable part of life, but in times like these those worries can be overwhelming. He...
How can I prevent my children from stressing over scary news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Limit your child’s viewing of any news that features an alarming event (such as a kidnapping, pedoph...
How can I reassure my child that the world is not all bad?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Draw your child’s attention to stories of heroism and compassion -– those wonderful simple gestures ...
How Are Different Child Temperaments Dealt With?