What are signs that my child is stressed?

Blanca Orellana, PhD
Psychiatry
Stress is the way our bodies and minds react to a particular challenge or situation. By recognizing the signs and symptoms of stress, you can help your child learn to manage his or her responses in a healthier way. Signs of stress in your child may include:
  • irritability and moodiness
  • anxiety and panic attacks
  • muscle tension
  • rapid heartbeat and breathing
  • difficulty separating from caregivers
  • frequent headaches and stomach pains
  • sadness and withdrawal
  • sleep problems
  • school problems
  • changes in eating patterns

This content originally appeared online at UCLA Health.
Michele Borba

Tune into your child to look for signs of stress. Start by observing your child a bit closer when a frightening event occurs. For instance:

• Is your child afraid to be left alone or of being in dark or closed places?
  • Does he have difficulty concentrating or is he excessively irritable?
  • Does she react fearfully to sudden noses, revert to immature behavior patterns, act out or have tantrums, or nightmares?
  • Is he bedwetting, withdrawing, crying excessively, or a experiencing a change in eating or sleeping habits?

Each child copes differently, so tune into your child’s behavior. Doing so will help you recognize how your son or daughter deals with life’s pressures and know when you should help to reduce those worries.

Late-breaking news without an adult present to explain is a worry inducer especially for middle school children.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Emotional Health

Should I avoid arguing with my partner in front of my child?
The most potent form of childhood stress is tension between parents or the adults of the househo...
How can I prevent my children from stressing over scary news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Limit your child’s viewing of any news that features an alarming event (such as a kidnapping, pedoph...
What is vulnerable child syndrome?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Vulnerable child syndrome (VCS) is child perceived to be at risk for behavioral, developmental, or m...
How Are Different Child Temperaments Dealt With?