How can I help my child cope with worries?

Michele Borba
Anxiety is an inevitable part of life, but in times like these those worries can be overwhelming. Here are just a few techniques you can help your child learn to use to cope with worries:

- Self-talk. Teach your child to say a statement inside her head to help her stay calm and handle the worries.

Here are a few:

“Chill out, calm down.”

“I can do this.”

“Stay calm and breathe slowly.”

“It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“Go away worry. You can’t get me!”

- Worry melting. Ask your kid to find the spot in his body where he feels the most tension; perhaps his neck, shoulder muscles, or jaw. He then closes his eyes, concentrates on the spot, tensing it up for three or four seconds, and then lets it go. While doing so, tell him to imagine the worry slowly melting away. Yoga or deep breathing exercises seem to be helpful for girls.

- Visualize a calm place. Ask your kid to think of an actual place he’s been where he feels peaceful. For instance: the beach, his bed, grandpa’s backyard, a tree house. When anxiety kicks in, tell him to close his eyes, imagine that spot, while breathing slowly and letting the worry fly slowly away.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Emotional Health

How can I improve my behavior to help my child during a divorce?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
If you think you aren’t hurting your child when you rag about their other parent, you are in den...
Can my stress rub off on my children?
A child who watches a parent respond to stress by being anxious or fearful or angry will learn to do...
How can I reassure my child that the world is not all bad?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Draw your child’s attention to stories of heroism and compassion -– those wonderful simple gestures ...
How does my behavior affect my child?
Everything you do -- and we mean everything -- is observed and processed by your child. She’s li...