What is speech disfluency in children?

Speech disfluency is also known as “stuttering” or “stammering.” It is disruptions in speech such as repeated words or sounds. This is very common in children who are learning to speak, so it is often heard in toddlers. In some cases, it can last longer into childhood or adulthood. 
Normal speech disfluency happens because the mind is able to form words faster than the tongue can say them. Disfluencies happen at any age if a person is too critical of himself and fears speaking. Nine out of every 10 children have normal disfluencies as they learn to talk. These disfluencies are not bothersome to the listener. They include repeating phrases or whole words and interjecting "uh" while thinking. Often, children are not aware of normal disfluencies.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

Why do children learn things much faster than adults do?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Compared to adults, children have more nerve cells that can actively create new connections. This is...
How can I deal with a clingy child?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
It is important to encourage your child to play by herself now and then, and this will stretch into ...
What is idiopathic short stature (ISS)?
Idiopathic short stature (ISS) is a condition in which a child is notably smaller in height than pee...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?