What is idiopathic short stature (ISS)?

Idiopathic short stature (ISS) is a condition in which a child is notably smaller in height than peers his or her own age for no clear reason.  Idiopathic refers to not having a clear answer.
Yung-Ping Chin, MD
Pediatrics
Idiopathic short stature describes a category of children with severe short stature and poor growth velocity in the absence of an identifiable cause. After a thorough evaluation has been conducted, therapeutic options may be considered.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I help my daughter develop leadership skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There are proven ways to help your daughter follow less and develop leadership skills:Be a leadershi...
Why is it important to chart my child’s growth?
It is important for a doctor to chart your child's growth to make sure that your child is growing ap...
How can I deal with a clingy child?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
It is important to encourage your child to play by herself now and then, and this will stretch into ...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?