What is idiopathic short stature (ISS)?

Idiopathic short stature (ISS) is a condition in which a child is notably smaller in height than peers his or her own age for no clear reason.  Idiopathic refers to not having a clear answer.
Yung-Ping Chin, MD
Pediatrics
Idiopathic short stature describes a category of children with severe short stature and poor growth velocity in the absence of an identifiable cause. After a thorough evaluation has been conducted, therapeutic options may be considered.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I maximize my child's learning potential?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
The easiest way to maximize your child's learning potential is reading to them every day for about 2...
How can I keep my kids from getting bored?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few solo ideas of activities that will keep your kids engaged. The secret is to tailor th...
How can I prepare my child to learn to read?
Kristina D. Esham, MDKristina D. Esham, MD
The most important way to prepare your child to learn to read is to read yourself. Children mode...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?