How do I teach my child microwave safety?

Children often prepare their own meals or snacks, often in a popular kitchen appliance -- the microwave. Because burns and spills are a common hazard related to microwave oven use, make sure children know how to use the microwave safely.
  • Put the microwave oven on a sturdy stand -- one that's low enough for kids. If children need to reach too high, they may pull a hot dish down on themselves.
  • Teach children to read the controls on the microwave oven -- the time, the power level and the "start" and "stop" controls. If kids can't read them, they're too young to operate a microwave alone.
  • Teach children what materials are microwave-safe and keep these utensils and containers within your their reach.
  • Always have your child use a potholder to remove hot food from the microwave. Keep potholders handy for kids.
  • Teach children to stir heated food before tasting. That distributes the heat and avoids hot spots that can cause burns.
  • Show them how to open containers such as popcorn so steam escapes away from their face.
Until you're sure your child has mastered safe use of the microwave, provide supervision.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

Why is it important to chart my child’s growth?
It is important for a doctor to chart your child's growth to make sure that your child is growing ap...
How can I deal with a clingy child?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
It is important to encourage your child to play by herself now and then, and this will stretch into ...
When should I be concerned about my child’s growth?
Yung-Ping Chin, MDYung-Ping Chin, MD
Questions regarding a child’s growth can arise at any stage of development. Primary care doctors usu...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?