How can I teach my child to be calm?

Michele Borba

Here a simple secret to help kids calm down and control their anger called, 1 + 3 + 10.

First print the formula a large piece of paper and hang it. Then teach it to your child.

"As soon as you feel your body start to lose control, do three things":

First, stop and tell yourself, 'Be calm.' That's 1.

Second, take three deep, slow breaths from your tummy. That's 3.

Now count slowly to ten inside your head. That's 10.

Put them all together, it's 1 + 3 + 10 and doing it helps you calm down.

Then practice it again and again as a family until your kids can use the formula without you.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?