How do I know if my child has a growth disorder?

To determine whether your child has a growth disorder, your child's pediatrician or family doctor monitors your child's growth with every visit and documents it on a growth curve to see how the child compares to all other children of the same age and gender. As long as your child is following an appropriate curve the doctor will just monitor but when there is deviation from the curve the doctor will recommend changing behaviors and/or testing if there is significant deviation. It is important to remember that no two children will grow the very same. It also reinforces the need to have regular visits with your child's doctor, especially in the first years of life because of the rapid growth during that time.

Dr. Yung-Ping Chin, MD
Pediatrician

Growth disorders can be diagnosed at any time during childhood or adolescence. Childhood growth rates are based on a number of factors including heredity, gender and environmental influences such as nutrition. Pediatric endocrinologists take many things into account when assessing a child’s growth, including growth velocity.

If parents are worried about their child's growth, it’s best to go and see a doctor. The first thing the doctor or nurse will do is measure the child’s height and weight and mark them on a chart. They do this regularly as the child gets older so that they can see how much and how quickly the child is growing. They can also compare your child's height to other kids his or her age. The doctor and nurse will ask about the parents’ heights to work out how much the child is expected to grow.   If it looks like there may be a problem with the child's growth, the doctor will arrange some tests to find out what’s going on. A blood test can check for some of the problems that affect growth. The child might also get an x-ray to look at his or her bones. Sometimes, the healthcare team will arrange a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan. This takes detailed pictures of the brain to see if there’s a problem with the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

What are the things I can teach my child to make her safer?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to help your child be safer in risky situations.Did you know the times o...
How do I teach my child microwave safety?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Children often prepare their own meals or snacks, often in a popular kitchen appliance -- the mi...
What are the developmental milestones of kids from ages 5 to 6 years old?
The school-age years have begun! Now that your child is spending less time at home and more time at ...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?