How can I help my child with homework battles?

Michele Borba

Here are simple secrets to help you handle those homework battles.

Check with the teacher throughout the year so you're clear on her homework expectations. The general rule is 10 minutes per grade level.

Set aside a special place for your child to work. Then stock it with necessary supplies - pens, pencils, paper, ruler, dictionary. It will help your child be organized and no excuses.

Maintain a firm, serious attitude about effort. Your child needs to know that homework is a priority in your home.

Show your child how to make a list of what needs to be done nightly in order of priority. He can then cross each item off as it is done.

Realize that your role is a helper, not a doer. Once you get your role straight, your battles are half over.

It's one more way to raise healthy, happy kids.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?