How can I help my child with homework battles?

Michele Borba

Here are simple secrets to help you handle those homework battles.

Check with the teacher throughout the year so you're clear on her homework expectations. The general rule is 10 minutes per grade level.

Set aside a special place for your child to work. Then stock it with necessary supplies - pens, pencils, paper, ruler, dictionary. It will help your child be organized and no excuses.

Maintain a firm, serious attitude about effort. Your child needs to know that homework is a priority in your home.

Show your child how to make a list of what needs to be done nightly in order of priority. He can then cross each item off as it is done.

Realize that your role is a helper, not a doer. Once you get your role straight, your battles are half over.

It's one more way to raise healthy, happy kids.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

What are the things I can teach my child to make her safer?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to help your child be safer in risky situations.Did you know the times o...
Where is the best place for my child to do homework?
The best place for your child to do homework depends largely on her particular work style. Granted, ...
How can I raise my kids to be kinder in a cruel world?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
It is tough to raise kids to be kinder in today’s crueler world. The strategies that follow are ones...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?