How can I help my child to learn to handle stress?

Michele Borba

Here is a behavior makeover to help kids cope with stress.

One of the best ways is to teach your child a relaxation technique that she can use to reduce tension before it builds up.

Ask your child to find the spot where he feels the most tension; his neck..shoulder jaw. Then tell him to close his eyes, concentrate on that spot, tense it up for three or four seconds, and then let it go while he imagines his stress melting away.

Teach your child to say a comment inside her head to help her handle the stress. "Chill out, relax." Or "It's nothing I can't handle."

Then encourage your child to practice the stress-reducer until he can finally use it without your guidance.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin.' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I raise my kids to be kinder in a cruel world?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
It is tough to raise kids to be kinder in today’s crueler world. The strategies that follow are ones...
Is it normal for a child to lag behind in one area of learning?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Each person and child develops at his or her own pace. And once we recognize that there are multiple...
Why do children learn things much faster than adults do?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Compared to adults, children have more nerve cells that can actively create new connections. This is...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?