How are growth disorders evaluated?

To evaluate growth disorders a pediatrician or family doctor will monitor a child's growth. When a child's growth deviates from an appropriate growth curve compared to other children of the same age and gender, a doctor will recommend changing diet and behaviors. With significant deviation the doctor will order blood tests, which will check for a variety of disorders including thyroid disease, digestion disorders, hormonal deficiencies, etc.
Yung-Ping Chin, MD
Comprehensive evaluation is required to determine the cause of abnormal growth patterns. Further, consultations can help to differentiate whether short stature, for example, is familial or induced by a treatable abnormality. A typical work-up includes physical examination and a review of growth patterns over time. Blood tests may be performed to rule out hormonal or genetic disorders. A bone age may be obtained to assess skeletal maturation in comparison to a child’s chronological age. Imaging may also be ordered to evaluate the pituitary gland.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

What is idiopathic short stature (ISS)?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Idiopathic short stature (ISS) is a condition in which a child is notably smaller in height than pee...
More Answers
How can I help my daughter develop leadership skills?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There are proven ways to help your daughter follow less and develop leadership skills:Be a leadershi...
More Answers
How can I deal with a clingy child?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
It is important to encourage your child to play by herself now and then, and this will stretch into ...
More Answers
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.