How do I know if I am expecting too much from my child?

Michele Borba
I have 3 questions you can ask yourself to ensure your parenting expectations are right for your kids.

1. First: Is my child developmentally ready for the task? Always start at the level your child is capable.
   2. Second: Is my expectation reasonable? Too difficult a task lowers a child's confidence.
   3. Third: Is my expectation set to my child's unique strengths and interests or what I hope for?

Your goal is to set your expectations of they gently stretch your child like a rubber band without snapping his spirit. That way your child knows you love him for who he is and not for what you want him to become.

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I boost my child's safety smarts?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few safety strategies from my book, The Big Book of Parenting Solutions  you can review w...
How does learning develop once a child starts school?
Once in kindergarten, learning really starts to blossom. Most parents are awed by the growth of thei...
When should I be concerned about my child’s growth?
Yung-Ping Chin, MDYung-Ping Chin, MD
Questions regarding a child’s growth can arise at any stage of development. Primary care doctors usu...
How can I teach my children to do the right thing?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
How can you help your child do the right thing when faced with a dilemma? Here are some helpful ...