What are the treatment options for undifferentiated schizophrenia?

Taking antipsychotic medication is the main treatment for most types of schizophrenia, including undifferentiated schizophrenia. Some newer medications have fewer side effects than medications that have been around for a longer time. There are many different antipsychotic medications available, including ones like Abilify (Aripiprazole) and Risperidone (Risperdal). It is important for people with undifferentiated schizophrenia to continue taking their medication even when their symptoms lessen or disappear; discontinuing medication may lead to symptoms coming back.

If someone with undifferentiated schizophrenia is also experiencing depression or anxiety, antidepressants or anti-anxiety drugs, along with antipsychotic medications, may help.

When people with schizophrenia experience strong symptoms, they may need hospitalization. Other treatments that can help people with schizophrenia include help with employment, different types of therapy, and help with life skills.

Undifferentiated schizophrenia treatments are similar to treatments for other mental illnesses: medication and counseling or therapy. The most common medication used to treat schizophrenia is an antipsychotic medication. There are two types: typical and atypical. The typical ones were developed at the height of I Love Lucy’s popularity. Atypical antipsychotics were developed at the height of Friends and Seinfeld in the 1990s. Both reduce the positive and negative symptoms. Typical antipsychotics tend to treat the negative symptoms better, so it is not uncommon for you to be on multiple medications at once (including antidepressants). It is important to note that some drugs used to treat schizophrenia can cause some nasty side effects. Some have to be watched as closely as a toddler on a playground and blood tests may be necessary, so be sure to tell your doctor about anything unusual, and definitely do not stop taking the meds cold turkey.

Counseling also helps people with schizophrenia. Consider attending a group or family therapy session with your friend or relative. These sessions can offer comfort, education, and assistance for people with schizophrenia.
Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you have undifferentiated schizophrenia, you may benefit from antipsychotic or mood-balancing medications, therapy, and support groups. Your doctor may develop a treatment plan that includes a variety of options to help you cope with and manage your symptoms. Talk to your doctor about how to best manage your condition.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
Even though that perspective has started to change—approximately 50% can have positive outcomes with the right treatment, says the National Alliance o...
How can I help a parent who has schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
One of the best ways to help a parent with an illness like schizophrenia is to be supportive. Ed...
Should I be worried if my neighbor has schizophrenia?
If you know that someone has schizophrenia, you may wonder how to act around the person. It may ...
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?