What are symptoms of early-stage schizophrenia?

For some people, schizophrenia begins with an "early psychosis" or "prodromal" stage. Key features of this stage include:

• Sleep disturbance
  • Appetite disturbance
  • Marked unusual behavior
  • Feelings that are blunted (flat) or seem incongruous (inconsistent) to others
  • Speech that is difficult to follow
  • Marked preoccupation with unusual ideas
  • Ideas of reference, thinking that unrelated things have a special meaning, for eg, thinking that people on the television are speaking directly to you
  • Persistent feelings of unreality
  • Changes in the way things appear, sound or smell

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Father's Age Linked to Mental Illness Risk in Children
When it comes to family planning, it’s usually women that hear the cacophony of their biological clocks. But maybe potential dads-to-be should pay att...
Is schizophrenia the same as multiple personality disorder?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
Schizophrenia is not the same as multiple personality disorder. These mental illnesses are rathe...
If I think I have schizophrenia, what should I do?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
If you think you have a mental illness like schizophrenia, seek help immediately. Early diagnosi...
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?