What is schizophrenia in veterans?

Schizophrenia in veterans and the general population is a chronic mental illness in which a person’s sense of reality is severely altered. This altered perception of reality changes the person’s behavior, speech, and thought patterns. It may involve hallucinations, delusions, and an emotional alienation from others. It is considered a psychotic disorder, or psychosis, and generally does not appear until late adolescence or adulthood.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

6 Tips for Schizophrenia Caregivers
6 Tips for Schizophrenia Caregivers
“You need family members with a clear understanding that this is an illness,” says John Preston, PsyD, a neuropsychologist and professor emeritus with...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with schizophrenia?
The National Institutes of Mental Health explains that family members are often the primary care...
Can I help my family member avoid a relapse from schizophrenia?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You can help a person with schizophrenia avoid a relapse. According to the National Institute of...
Who Is Likely to Get Schizophrenia?
Who Is Likely to Get Schizophrenia?