What is Aristada?

Aristada (aripiprazole) is a medication developed for the treatment of schizophrenia. It is an injectable drug administered every 4 to 6 weeks. Aripiprazole was available as an injectable drug prior to the development of Aristada, but Aristada is the first long-lasting form. Aristada has been shown to reduce symptoms of schizophrenia, including emotional withdrawal, paranoia and hallucinations. It must be administered by a medical professional. Side effects may include irritability, restlessness, weight gain, heart palpitations, impairment of motor skills and judgment and headache. It is not known if Aristada is safe for pregnant women, children or the elderly. Aristada is not to be used in patients with dementia-related psychosis, as it has been related to stroke and similar dangers for this group. 

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Father's Age Linked to Mental Illness Risk in Children
When it comes to family planning, it’s usually women that hear the cacophony of their biological clocks. But maybe potential dads-to-be should pay att...
Can I help my family member avoid a relapse from schizophrenia?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You can help a person with schizophrenia avoid a relapse. According to the National Institute of...
How do drug abuse symptoms mimic schizophrenia?
The National Institute of Mental Health reports that some people addicted to drugs display simil...
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?