What increases my risk for undifferentiated schizophrenia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are several risk factors associated with schizophrenia, including undifferentiated schizophrenia. The general risk for schizophrenia is 1%. If you have a sibling, parent, or other close family member who has schizophrenia, your risk for schizophrenia increases to 10%. Some things which may have happened to you before birth, including exposure to certain viruses, poor maternal nutrition, or not getting enough oxygen during birth may also put you at higher risk for schizophrenia. Taking certain kinds of psychoactive illegal drugs when you are an adolescent, such as LSD and marijuana, also increases your risk of developing schizophrenia.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?
Is There a Connection Between Schizophrenia and Depression?
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?