What are the different types of schizophrenia?

Since there are a wide range of symptoms that people with schizophrenia experience, researchers have classified five subtypes of schizophrenia to make it easier to treat. Don’t worry, though, being classified into a subtype is not like getting a horrible nickname on the playground or the halls of your middle school that you can never live down. You won’t necessarily have that label for the rest of time. Your symptoms can change over time, so it’s not uncommon to swap sub-types.

The five subtypes are:

• catatonic -- associated with mainly physical symptoms that affect
  movement

• disorganized -- associated with disorganized and often difficult to
  understand speech and behavior

• paranoid -- associated with delusions and auditory hallucinations

• residual -- associated with people who have had past schizophrenic
  episodes, but currently are asymptomatic

• undifferentiated -- the catchall subtype; it’s associated with
  symptoms seen in all of the other subtypes.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The 3 Types of Schizophrenia Symptoms
The 3 Types of Schizophrenia Symptoms
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
What questions should I ask my doctor if I have schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
If you have schizophrenia, the better that you can understand your illness (or the illness of your r...
How can I help a family member if I think they have schizophrenia?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
The best you can do for them is encourage them to see their physician for an evaluation. Once they h...
What Are Myths Associated with Schizophrenia?