Advertisement

What supports help people with schizophrenia stay on their medications?

Mark Moronell, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)
Friends and family play an important role in helping people with schizophrenia stay on their medications. This social support is crucial because antipsychotic medication treatment is one of the best ways for people with schizophrenia to avoid a relapse. For instance, people who stay on their medications after getting ill only have a 20% to 30% chance of suffering a relapse within a year. Those who stop taking their medications have a 70% to 80% chance of relapsing within a year. When people with schizophrenia have support and encouragement from friends and family members, it helps them to stay compliant with their treatments. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, this social network goes a long way toward helping people with schizophrenia stay well.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Signs of Schizophrenia in Your Early 20’s
The Signs of Schizophrenia in Your Early 20’s
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
Read More
Is schizophrenia serious?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Schizophrenia is a serious, life-long disease that can be treated but not cured. People with sch...
More Answers
What is the schizophrenic spectrum?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
The schizophrenic spectrum includes several disorders related to schizophrenia. They include: •...
More Answers
Is There an Age or Demographic Where Schizophrenia Is More Common?
Is There an Age or Demographic Where Schizophrenia Is More Common?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.