Is schizophrenia the same as multiple personality disorder?

Mark Moronell, MD
Schizophrenia is not the same as multiple personality disorder. These mental illnesses are rather different. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder, and multiple personality disorder is a personality disorder. These two types of illnesses cause different symptoms and are diagnosed and treated differently. In fact, multiple personality disorder is now known as dissociative identity disorder (DID). The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) does acknowledge that people with this illness may hear voices in their heads, but schizophrenia is still a distinctly different disease from DID. Schizophrenia is an illness largely caused by genetic factors, along with environmental factors. It is a lifelong disease that has no cure. According to NAMI, DID starts in childhood after children experience severe traumas, such as physical or sexual abuse. As a coping mechanism, these children learn to dissociate from the traumatic situation, and multiple identities begin to develop. As the child matures, some of these identities may become violent or aggressive, and therapy treatment is necessary to help the person recover.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
Even though that perspective has started to change—approximately 50% can have positive outcomes with the right treatment, says the National Alliance o...
Is delusional disorder related to schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Delusional disorder shares some of the symptoms of schizophrenia, but it is a different type of ...
What questions should I ask my doctor if I have schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
If you have schizophrenia, the better that you can understand your illness (or the illness of your r...
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?