Who is at risk for having disorganized schizophrenia?

Mark Moronell, MD
Mental health experts do not know the exact cause of disorganized schizophrenia, but there are some factors that seem to increase a person's risk of getting the disease. One thing we do know is that genetics play a large role in determining who gets schizophrenia. Most people face a one percent chance of having schizophrenia, but people with relatives who have the illness are at higher risk. Also, those with disorganized schizophrenia may be more likely to have been fathered by someone who was older at conception. Our environments play a role too. Research studies have shown that experiences in the womb may cause changes in the brains of some unborn babies. Maternal viruses or malnutrition may cause these changes. Other circumstances that are linked to disorganized schizophrenia include early life trauma and early drug use.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

4 Factors That May Increase Your Schizophrenia Risk
Schizophrenia—a mental illness that typically distorts a person’s perception of reality—affects less than one percent of the US population.  Although ...
Do I call for help if someone with schizophrenia is agitated?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
If you are with a person with schizophrenia who becomes agitated, you may want to call 911 or a ...
How can I help a family member if I think they have schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
One of the characteristic traits of schizophrenia is that those affected rarely have the insight...
What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?