What happens to a person with schizophrenia when they go to the ER?

Mark Moronell, MD

When a person with schizophrenia visits the emergency room, a psychiatrist or mental health worker will visit with the person and do an assessment. This assessment will determine the severity of the person's symptoms. If the person is considered to be a threat to someone else or might self-harm, he will be admitted to the hospital for observation, even if he does not want to stay. This is known as an involuntary admission.

Some people may need to be involuntarily admitted if they have active hallucinations or delusions, like seeing and hearing things that are not real. At the hospital, a treatment plan will be prescribed for the person. Once the person is stable and released, he will need to stay compliant with his medication treatment. If he does not follow through with his treatment plan, he may need to be hospitalized again.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Talk Therapy Offers Hope to Patients with Schizophrenia
Medications are a crucial part of treatment for people with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, however, the side effects—which often include weight gain, d...
What mental health conditions are included in the schizophrenia spectrum?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
Some of the schizophrenia spectrum disorders include: • Schizophrenia • Childhood schizophrenia (...
If I think my friend or relative has schizophrenia, who should I talk to?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You are a very caring person to seek help for a loved one who may have a mental illness. If your...
What Are Myths Associated with Schizophrenia?