How do medications treat catatonic schizophrenia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Taking your medication is the primary indicator of whether or not you will be able to function normally as a catatonic schizophrenic. People with catatonic schizophrenia, however, are treated with a medication regimen that is somewhat different than that of other schizophrenia sufferers. While other schizophrenia sufferers are given antipsychotic medications, these drugs can actually make catatonic schizophrenia worse and are given only on a limited basis. Instead, catatonic schizophrenia is treated with anti-anxiety medication, sedatives, antidepressants, and mood-stabilizers. Doctors rely primarily on the anti-anxiety medications, called benzodiazepines, to treat the disorder; they are fast-acting relievers of symptoms. Sedatives, antidepressants, and mood-stabilizers are not used as commonly as benzodiazepines, and, in the case of the latter two, may be most beneficial if you have both catatonic schizophrenia and another disorder.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?
Who Is Likely to Get Schizophrenia?
Who Is Likely to Get Schizophrenia?
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?