How do I know if my child needs help for schizophrenia?

Mark Moronell, MD
If mood symptoms, strange behaviors, or odd thinking patterns begin to affect your child's social life, home life, or school performance, seek help. Though it is very rare, some children develop early onset schizophrenia. Symptoms of childhood schizophrenia can include:

• Hearing voices or seeing things that aren't there
• Feeling suspicious or distrustful of others, or frequently worried about harm
• Strange speaking patterns, odd thoughts, and bizarre behavior
• Lack of enjoyment in everyday life
• Lack of a normal range of emotions

If your child experiences two or more of these symptoms for at least several months, talk to your pediatrician. Your doctor may refer you and your child to a psychiatrist specializing in childhood mental illness.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Signs of Schizophrenia in Your Early 20’s
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
How is brief reactive psychosis related to schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Brief reactive psychosis causes symptoms similar to schizophrenia, but it is short-lived and oft...
Do I call for help if someone with schizophrenia is agitated?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
If you are with a person with schizophrenia who becomes agitated, you may want to call 911 or a ...
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?