Is schizophrenia a spectrum disorder?

Mark Moronell, MD
There are several mental health conditions that are categorized as schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Some of the disorders included in this grouping are:

• Schizophrenia
• Childhood schizophrenia (also called early onset schizophrenia)
• Schizoaffective disorder
• Schizoid personality disorder
• Schizotypal personality disorder

Each of these conditions contains some of the features found in people with schizophrenia, although all of these disorders differ in some significant way. For instance, early onset schizophrenia often include many of the same characteristics of schizophrenia, but it is only diagnosed in children. Both of the schizophrenia spectrum personality disorders are included in this grouping because the risk factors for these conditions appear similar to the risk factors for schizophrenia, even though they don't cause all of the symptoms of schizophrenia.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
The Truth Behind 4 Schizophrenia Myths
Even though that perspective has started to change—approximately 50% can have positive outcomes with the right treatment, says the National Alliance o...
Do I call for help if someone with schizophrenia is agitated?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
If you are with a person with schizophrenia who becomes agitated, you may want to call 911 or a ...
Should I be worried if my neighbor has schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you know that someone has schizophrenia, you may wonder how to act around the person. It may ...
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?