Is schizophrenia a disease?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
To understand whether schizophrenia is a disease, it is important to understand the definition of disease. According to the Merriam-Webster Medline Plus Medical Dictionary, disease is present when a person's normal, healthy state changes and that person starts to show signs and symptoms of illness. A disease can be caused by environmental, viral, or genetic factors. The National Alliance on Mental Illness and the National Institute of Mental Health both refer to schizophrenia as a disease. Like many diseases, schizophrenia can be treated, and some people can recover from the illness, maintaining jobs and relationships into late adulthood.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Father's Age Linked to Mental Illness Risk in Children
When it comes to family planning, it’s usually women that hear the cacophony of their biological clocks. But maybe potential dads-to-be should pay att...
Should I be worried if my neighbor has schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
If you know that someone has schizophrenia, you may wonder how to act around the person. It may ...
How do drug abuse symptoms mimic schizophrenia?
The National Institute of Mental Health reports that some people addicted to drugs display simil...
Is There a Connection Between Schizophrenia and Depression?