Is catatonic schizophrenia serious?

Catatonic schizophrenia is a very serious disease that can affect all areas of a person's life. Although the disorder does not directly lead to death, complications of the disorder can place people in harm's way. Individuals with catatonic schizophrenia generally are not aware of reality unless they are treated. They may sit unmoving and they may move in a manic way. In either situation, they cannot care for themselves. Because of this, people with schizophrenia may be unable to hold down a job, and they may become homeless. They might also get into criminal trouble or be victimized. Suicide, substance abuse, and smoking are all ways in which a catatonic schizophrenic can end up near or at death's door.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Talk Therapy Offers Hope to Patients with Schizophrenia
Medications are a crucial part of treatment for people with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, however, the side effects—which often include weight gain, d...
What questions should I ask my doctor if I have schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
If you have schizophrenia, the better that you can understand your illness (or the illness of your r...
Can a person have more than one type of schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Sometimes, people with schizophrenia experience several groups of symptoms at the same time. Whe...
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?