What increases my risk for catatonic schizophrenia?

Because doctors aren' t sure what causes catatonic schizophrenia, they aren' t exactly sure what puts you at risk. But since doctors theorize that schizophrenia is caused by genetic factors and birth defects, people who are related to schizophrenics are at risk. In addition, certain birth defects can put you at risk for developing the disorder. These include a lack of oxygen at birth, prenatal nutritional problems, and a pregnant mother' s contraction of the flu. Other risk factors include stress and childhood distress, older parents, and exposure to some psychoactive drugs.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Talk Therapy Offers Hope to Patients with Schizophrenia
Medications are a crucial part of treatment for people with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, however, the side effects—which often include weight gain, d...
How can I help a loved one who has schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Family members and friends can be integral to helping people with schizophrenia toward recovery. Bec...
How can I help a family member if I think they have schizophrenia?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
The best you can do for them is encourage them to see their physician for an evaluation. Once they h...
What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?