How can I help a loved one who has schizophrenia?

Family members and friends can be integral to helping people with schizophrenia toward recovery. Because family members can provide doctors with a different perspective from the patient, they can often be helpful in developing treatment strategies. More importantly, family members can provide people with schizophrenia with a strong support system by listening, empathizing, and recognizing schizophrenia as a real illness. Family support is crucial toward making a quicker recovery. If you have a relative, friend or peer who is acting "strangely," be there for him/her. Go with him/her to the medical centre, talk to counsellors, and assure the individual that he/she is not alone. Be a good friend. Schizophrenia can happen to any of us.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?
Caring for Patients with Schizophrenia and Other Psychiatric Disorders
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?