How can I help a loved one who has schizophrenia?

Family members and friends can be integral to helping people with schizophrenia toward recovery. Because family members can provide doctors with a different perspective from the patient, they can often be helpful in developing treatment strategies. More importantly, family members can provide people with schizophrenia with a strong support system by listening, empathizing, and recognizing schizophrenia as a real illness. Family support is crucial toward making a quicker recovery. If you have a relative, friend or peer who is acting "strangely," be there for him/her. Go with him/her to the medical centre, talk to counsellors, and assure the individual that he/she is not alone. Be a good friend. Schizophrenia can happen to any of us.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Talk Therapy Offers Hope to Patients with Schizophrenia
Medications are a crucial part of treatment for people with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, however, the side effects—which often include weight gain, d...
What is schizophrenia in veterans?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Schizophrenia in veterans and the general population is a chronic mental illness in which a person’s...
If I think my friend or relative has schizophrenia, who should I talk to?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You are a very caring person to seek help for a loved one who may have a mental illness. If your...
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?