How do drug abuse symptoms mimic schizophrenia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
The National Institute of Mental Health reports that some people addicted to drugs display similar behaviors as those with schizophrenia. For this reason, doctors often screen for drug and alcohol abuse when diagnosing schizophrenia. Symptoms of drug abuse that may mirror symptoms of schizophrenia include:
  • having a dirty, unkempt appearance
  • withdrawing from friends, social engagements, work or school
  • odd or drastic changes in behavior, including aggressive behavior
  • poor concentration
  • delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia
  • changes in speech
  • memory problems
  • confusion
  • tremors
Doctors should also be aware that substance abuse problems are more common in people with schizophrenia. Further, some drugs may increase the symptoms of schizophrenia in people with the disease.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Signs of Schizophrenia in Your Early 20’s
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
How can I help a family member if I think they have schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
One of the characteristic traits of schizophrenia is that those affected rarely have the insight...
How can I help a friend who might have schizophrenia?
If someone you know appears to have symptoms of schizophrenia, talk to a mental health professio...
What Is Schizophrenia?
What Is Schizophrenia?