How can community-based programs help me if I have schizophrenia?

Community-based programs, like peer support groups, may help those with schizophrenia. Peer support groups provide those with schizophrenia the chance to see that they are not alone. They also promote social interaction, which lessens the isolation that those with the disorder may feel. Support groups and other educational or assistance programs may be available through community-based mental health agencies, or mental health associations. The local telephone book, newspaper(s), or the internet may also have information about programs available in the community.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Father's Age Linked to Mental Illness Risk in Children
When it comes to family planning, it’s usually women that hear the cacophony of their biological clocks. But maybe potential dads-to-be should pay att...
How is brief reactive psychosis related to schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Brief reactive psychosis causes symptoms similar to schizophrenia, but it is short-lived and oft...
How many people have schizophrenia?
The National Alliance on Mental Illness reports that about 1 in 100 adults in the United States ...
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?