How can I choose the right doctor to treat my schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is a serious illness and must involve well-qualified mental health professionals who are interested in the disorder, have empathy for those with the illness, and are good at working with other members of a treatment team. There is no easy solution for the treatment of schizophrenia and getting the right help as early as possible is vital to the long term outcome. Treatment should involve a well trained professional who:

• Treats schizophrenia as a medical disorder
  • Takes a detailed history
  • Screens for problems that might be related to other illnesses
  • Is knowledgeable about antipsychotic medications
  • Follows up thoroughly
  • Adjusts the course of treatment when necessary
  • Reviews medications regularly
  • Is interested in the patient's entire welfare, and makes appropriate referrals for aftercare, housing, social support, and financial aid as well as his/her overall physical health
  • Explains clearly what is going on in a way that the individual and family/peer group can understand
  • Involves the family and/or peer group, as appropriate, in the treatment process

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?
Is There a Connection Between Schizophrenia and Depression?
What Are Myths Associated with Schizophrenia?
What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?