How can I avoid stigmatizing my own illness if I have schizophrenia?

If you have schizophrenia, there are many things that you can do to reduce any stigmatizing feelings you have about your own illness, or about your ability or value as a person. You can:
  • Do things you enjoy. This can boost your self esteem.
  • Keep a journal and write down things that you like about yourself or are proud of. You can always find something.
  • Read about schizophrenia and mental illness. If you can find some, read stories about other people who have schizophrenia. You will see that they can achieve great things, and that they have dreams and challenges, just like everyone else.
  • Make sure that you take notice of any symptoms that you are experiencing. Being responsible for monitoring your own mental health will help you recover. But don't focus on your symptoms all the time. And remember that everyone has bad days, and everyone loses things or forgets appointments sometimes! Even your Doctor!

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

4 Factors That May Increase Your Schizophrenia Risk
Schizophrenia—a mental illness that typically distorts a person’s perception of reality—affects less than one percent of the US population.  Although ...
How can I help a family member if I think they have schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
One of the characteristic traits of schizophrenia is that those affected rarely have the insight...
If I think my friend or relative has schizophrenia, who should I talk to?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You are a very caring person to seek help for a loved one who may have a mental illness. If your...
What Are Symptoms of Schizophrenia?
What Are Symptoms of Schizophrenia?