How can I avoid stigmatizing my own illness if I have schizophrenia?

If you have schizophrenia, there are many things that you can do to reduce any stigmatizing feelings you have about your own illness, or about your ability or value as a person. You can:
  • Do things you enjoy. This can boost your self esteem.
  • Keep a journal and write down things that you like about yourself or are proud of. You can always find something.
  • Read about schizophrenia and mental illness. If you can find some, read stories about other people who have schizophrenia. You will see that they can achieve great things, and that they have dreams and challenges, just like everyone else.
  • Make sure that you take notice of any symptoms that you are experiencing. Being responsible for monitoring your own mental health will help you recover. But don't focus on your symptoms all the time. And remember that everyone has bad days, and everyone loses things or forgets appointments sometimes! Even your Doctor!

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Serious Risks Faced by People with Schizophrenia
It’s long been a stereotype with an unfortunate underlying nugget of truth: that people with schizophrenia are more prone to violence and suicide. A l...
What mental health conditions are included in the schizophrenia spectrum?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
Some of the schizophrenia spectrum disorders include: • Schizophrenia • Childhood schizophrenia (...
How often do people with schizophrenia commit suicide?
Suicide and thinking about suicide are two dangerous complications of schizophrenia. Around 10 out o...
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?