Can our genes tell us if we are at risk for schizophrenia?

Mark Moronell, MD
Doctors can assess a person's risk for some medical conditions by using genetic testing. Unfortunately, schizophrenia is not one of these illnesses. Researchers are hoping to use genetic tests to screen for and diagnose schizophrenia in the future. But for now, instead of genetic testing, doctors must perform a series of comprehensive physical, behavioral, and emotional tests to diagnose the illness. We do know that people who have close relatives with schizophrenia are more likely to be diagnosed with the illness than others. In fact, if your parent or sibling has schizophrenia, your chance of having the disease is 10%, compared to the general population, which has a 1% chance. Currently, doctors can assess a person's risk for schizophrenia by looking at his family history rather than his genes.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

4 Factors That May Increase Your Schizophrenia Risk
Schizophrenia—a mental illness that typically distorts a person’s perception of reality—affects less than one percent of the US population.  Although ...
If I think my friend or relative has schizophrenia, who should I talk to?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You are a very caring person to seek help for a loved one who may have a mental illness. If your...
What is schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder that often develops in adolescence or early adulthood and...
What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?