How does family therapy help people with schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Family therapy is a resource for family members of people with schizophrenia. This form of therapy can be very helpful in educating all family members about the illness.  In family therapy groups, family members can show support for their loved one diagnosed with schizophrenia. Support from others can play a big part of the healing process for people living with schizophrenia. The National Institute on Mental Health offers a resource called Family-to-Family that helps many people nationwide. This group is available in most states in the United States and is offered in multiple languages. Family-to-Family is led by family members of people diagnosed with schizophrenia, who can be of great assistance to other families in need of education and support.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

Talk Therapy Offers Hope to Patients with Schizophrenia
Medications are a crucial part of treatment for people with schizophrenia. Unfortunately, however, the side effects—which often include weight gain, d...
What questions should I ask my doctor if I have schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
If you have schizophrenia, the better that you can understand your illness (or the illness of your r...
What is schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder that often develops in adolescence or early adulthood and...
Is There a Connection Between Schizophrenia and Depression?