How does disorganized schizophrenia affect other conditions?

Disorganized schizophrenia often accompanies several other disorders. People who are being treated for the condition may be being treated for other mental problems. In addition, disorganized schizophrenia may be correlated with heart and lung disease, as people with the disorder tend to smoke. Affected individuals think smoking helps them cope with the disorganization in a better way. In the same manner, individuals with disorganized schizophrenia may suffer from alcoholism and drug abuse, as well as from suicidal tendencies and depression.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

6 Tips for Schizophrenia Caregivers
6 Tips for Schizophrenia Caregivers
“You need family members with a clear understanding that this is an illness,” says John Preston, PsyD, a neuropsychologist and professor emeritus with...
If I think I have schizophrenia, what should I do?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
If you think you have a mental illness like schizophrenia, seek help immediately. Early diagnosi...
How did schizophrenia get its name?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
A psychiatrist named Eugen Bleuler coined the term schizophrenia to describe the contrast betwee...
If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?