Do children have different schizophrenia symptoms than adults?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine

Typically, children with schizophrenia display many of the same symptoms that adults with schizophrenia experience. Children and adults with schizophrenia may experience positive and negative symptoms, both of which can be quite distressing. Positive symptoms of schizophrenia include hallucinations, delusions, trouble speaking with others, and odd behaviors. Negative symptoms of schizophrenia include having a reduced range of feelings and emotions, low motivation, and a lack of interest in things. When a doctor evaluates a child for schizophrenia, he or she will assess for and rule out other mental illnesses, such as depression or bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

What Are Delusions Versus Hallucinations?
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?
What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?
What Are Obstacles in the Diagnosis of Schizophrenia?