How do I care for someone with catatonic schizophrenia?

Caring for a person with catatonic schizophrenia is an important and time-consuming job. Often, it falls to the caretakers to notify the doctor that there is a problem and to stay in communication with the doctor about treatment. People with catatonic schizophrenia distort what is real. They are also often unresponsive or immobile. On the other hand, they may be hyperactive and moving quickly with no goal.

If you're caring for a person with catatonic schizophrenia, you may need to oversee that medications are being taken, and you may have to inject some medications. You will also need to be sure the person you are caring for is not being violent; do not let the person engage in self-harm.

Mark Moronell, MD
If you suspect that someone has catatonic schizophrenia, you can talk to a professional or encourage the person to seek help. Before assuming that someone you care about has something as serious as catatonic schizophrenia, you may want to first get more information about the disease. Talking with a primary-care doctor, therapist, or psychiatrist may help you understand the signs and symptoms. If you are sure that your friend needs help, offer to drive her to a doctor, where she can get proper care. If your friend appears suicidal, is acting strangely, out of control, or is mute and expressionless, call 911. She may need to be taken to the emergency room or admitted to an inpatient unit for treatment.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

What We Know About the Causes of Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia—a mental illness that typically distorts a person’s perception of reality—affects less than one percent of the US population.  Although ...
Does schizophrenia affect women differently than men?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
The symptoms of schizophrenia seem to affect men and women in similar ways. However, one thing t...
Should I be worried if my neighbor has schizophrenia?
If you know that someone has schizophrenia, you may wonder how to act around the person. It may ...
What Do We Know About the Causes of Schizophrenia?