Are there alternative treatments for catatonic schizophrenia?

If you have catatonic schizophrenia, conventional medicine is the best approach. Medication is the main way in which the disorder is treated, and you have the best chance of functioning normally if you do take your medication. However, electroconvulsive therapy may be used if you don't respond to your medication. This therapy includes electricity being passed through your brain to affect chemicals in the brain. Being mindful of your disorder, taking your medications, and staying away from substances that worsen the disorder, like drugs not prescribed to you and alcohol, can also help ensure your symptoms don't return.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Signs of Schizophrenia in Your Early 20’s
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by fragmented thoughts and a distorted perception of reality. There is currently no cure. While the o...
Can a person have more than one type of schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Sometimes, people with schizophrenia experience several groups of symptoms at the same time. Whe...
Is schizophrenia the same as multiple personality disorder?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
Schizophrenia is not the same as multiple personality disorder. These mental illnesses are rathe...
What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?