Is saw palmetto effective?

Saw palmetto is rated as "possibly ineffective" for enlarged prostate by the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Several small studies have found that it is effective, but a research review found no evidence that it works any better than a placebo (sugar pill).

It is likely safe for most adults, but children and pregnant women should avoid it, as it affects hormones. As is true for all dietary supplements, saw palmetto has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness or purity.

Continue Learning about Saw Palmetto

Does saw palmetto interact with other medications and food?
Currently, there is no concrete evidence that saw palmetto interacts negatively with other medicatio...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking saw palmetto?
Yes, you should let your doctor know if you are taking saw palmetto. Since it can interact with othe...
Is saw palmetto safe for children?
No. The effects of saw palmetto on children are not known at this time. More research must be done i...
Who should not take saw palmetto?
You should not take saw palmetto if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you have ever had an aller...