How can saw palmetto help with prostate problems?

Saw palmetto inhibits the influence of a male hormone on prostate tissue. The main effect of saw palmetto, as an extract of the fat-soluble berry substances, is to reduce some of the effects of the hormones responsible for male characteristics (i.e., androgenic hormones). It is these hormones that cause benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a noncancerous enlargement of the prostate gland..

Saw palmetto extract can reduce the conversion of the male hormone testosterone to the more active dihydrotestosterone (DHT). The more potent DHT appears to increase the growth rate of benign prostate cells, although the reason for this effect is unclear.

Saw palmetto has become a common herbal treatment for benign prostatic hypertrophy or enlarged prostate by relieving the main symptom of frequent urination. It is available over-the-counter at most grocery or drugstores and can be taken as capsules, tincture, and fresh or dried berries.

Studies confirm that when taken regularly, this herbal treatment for enlarged prostate may help. It also appears to have no dangerous side effects as other prostate medications do.

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Saw Palmetto

Can taking saw palmetto relieve benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH)?
In the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), saw palmetto seems to inhibit male hormo...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking saw palmetto?
Yes, you should let your doctor know if you are taking saw palmetto. Since it can interact with othe...
What is the maximum daily dosage for saw palmetto?
The maximum daily dosage for saw palmetto is not known at this time. More research must be done in t...
Is saw palmetto safe for children?
No. The effects of saw palmetto on children are not known at this time. More research must be done i...